top of page

What if My Injury Keeps Me From Getting a Job?

Updated: Aug 27, 2023

As if the pain of being injured and facing a long recovery weren’t challenging enough, some victims of an on-the-job accident or personal injury soon learn that they can no longer perform certain tasks – tasks that may be integral to the performance of their job. For instance, if you were a forklift operator who suffered a chemical burn to your eyes – rendering you blind – you would no longer be able to drive a forklift. That inability to perform may result in the move to a different job with the same employer or – depending on the severity of your injuries – the inability to land a job altogether. You’re going to want to have someone on your side – to advocate on your behalf and pursue the damages you are due. The experienced attorneys at The Edmonson Law Firm welcome the chance to help you, but first, let’s tackle the question, “What if my injury keeps me from getting a job?”

File a Worker’s Compensation Claim

If your injury was the result of a workplace accident, you’ll want to file a Worker’s Compensation claim as soon as possible. The benefits you are awarded will be integral in helping you provide for your family and finance your recovery. While you are recovering and out of work, you may receive up to two-thirds of your average weekly wage. However, in Georgia, that amount will not exceed $725.00/week.

If you return to work and are no longer able to perform the same duties as before your accident, your employer may elect to offer you a different position within the company. According to the Georgia State Board of Worker’s Compensation, you may receive a reduced benefit based upon your earnings for a maximum of 350 weeks from the date of your injury – not to exceed $483.00/week. If you are unable to return altogether nor are you able to be employed elsewhere due to a catastrophic injury, Georgia law dictates that you are entitled to receive help in getting another job or learning to do another job. If your injury is of such a degree that it is deemed a partial or permanent disability, you will be entitled to additional Worker’s Compensation benefits – which vary based on the type of injury. You can also apply for Social Security Disability – but we’ll address that in a moment.

Pursue a Personal Injury Case

In the event that your injury resulted from a falling object at a retail store, an attack from a neighbor’s dog or a car accident, you may be due damages that can – again – help you provide for your family and finance your recovery. Find a skilled Personal Injury Attorney – like those found at The Edmonson Law Firm – to discuss your case and options. You may be able to recover both special and general damages. Special damages are those that can be itemized – such as your medical bills, lost wages, and other similar items. General damages are non-specific and often include “pain and suffering.” If you find that you are unable to return to work following your accident, Social Security Disability is likely your next best option.

Apply for Social Security Disability Insurance and/or Supplemental Security Income

The Social Security Administration offers both these programs to provide income and health insurance benefits for anyone who is physically or mentally impaired to the point that they are unable to perform any job. The application process can be daunting, but a good lawyer – like those found at The Edmonson Law Firm – will be able to walk alongside you, help you determine if you meet the necessary medical qualifications and attend any necessary hearings. If you are receiving Worker’s Compensation benefits simultaneously, that may impact the amount of Social Security Disability/Supplemental Security Income benefits you will receive.

We understand that contending with an injury can make you feel isolated and unheard – particularly when that injury may impact your ability to earn a livelihood and support the ones you love. Look to the attorneys of Edmonson Law Firm and you will always have someone on your side! To get in touch with our team of Worker’s Compensation Attorneys, Social Security Disability Attorneys and Personal Injury Attorneys, call 678-271-9111, email us at, fill out our secure online contact form or drop by The Edmonson Law Firm offices – located at 924 Gainesville Hwy Suite 200 in Buford. To learn more about each of our practice areas, be sure to visit us online at Don’t forget… your initial consultation is FREE!

33 views0 comments


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page